Friday, January 2, 2015

"Fear not little children, for you are mine"‏ Oct. 15, 2014

Okay everyone, here is some exciting news.... I have a new companion!!! I also still have my old companion! Yes we are a trio. Unusual, but it is so great! The new companion is Hermana Savage (we like to pronounce it Sah-vah-hey in Spanish). She is from Delaware and she is great.
 

​My companions and I after church! Hna Savage, yo, y Hna Christensen.
 
This week has been really good.  And really busy. We had to change our P-day because a had a zone conference where Elder Schwitzer came and talked to us as missionaries! The main message was about how we need to focus our message more on Christ, because that's exactly what we're called to do. We are representing Jesus Christ, so if we aren't focusing our lessons on Him, we aren't doing missionary work right.
 
In preparation for the zone conference, our zone cleaned the building. And my companions and I got assigned to outside duty. It was hot, and humid. I think it was in the 100s that day haha. But hey! Missionary work is all about service!
​Lets not talk about my hair for service activities. Or how my nametag is flipped over:(
 
This week for church I had to play the hymns. It was arguably the scariest thing I've done so far on my mission. It wasn't pretty, but I somehow made it through.  Ha ha. Afterwards the Young Women's President asked me if I could help her with a musical number. I said yes, somewhat reluctantly.  :)
 
Also, mini miracle this week, I got to play guitar!!!! We've been working with a family who has or had an inactive son. We had Noche de Hogar (family home evening) with them on Monday and they said "I didn't know you played Piano!" To which I responded "I don't." Hermano A. then proceeded to ask who plays guitar and I said I did. Long story short, I played "Give said the little stream" and my companions sang. It made me very happy.
 
So, recently we've been working with a lot of less active or inactive members or families. I didn't think about this a lot before my mission, but now that I'm here, I have found incredible joy in helping these people. That's the reason for the heading of this email.
 
Doctrine and Covenants 50: 40-42 says "Behold, ye are little children and ye cannot bear all things now; ye must grow in grace and in the knowledge of truth. Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world, and you are of them that my Father hath given me. And none of them that my Father hath given me shall be lost."
 
This week we read Alma:36 with an inactive member, and the Spirit in that lesson was incredible.No matter, what you're state is, if you're a member, non-member, inactive or not sure if you want to be going to church, please read this chapter. Read it out loud and let the Spirit testify to you the power of our Savior's atonement. He loves us. And repentance is a gift. As we read this chapter with the member, his eyes filled with tears and he felt the Saviors love. He came back to church this week and decided to start going out with the Elders to help teach lessons.
I know Jesus is the Christ. I know we can become completely clean through Him. I know that "none... are lost." It is never to late. It is never too hard. The light of Christ penetrates all darkness.
 
-Hermana Ries

No comments:

Post a Comment