Tuesday, June 9, 2015

And there began to be much peace again in the land Jan. 26, 2015

Dear Family and Friends,

It has been a pretty great week. Lots of miracles. Lots of happy good times. Lots of rain and flooding. Lots of freezing cold earlier this week.And in the last couple days the sun has returned and once again Galveston feels like a tropical island. 

Now that I am through the weather report, lets talk about what actually happened this week haha. 

We had a zone activity where we played lacrosse. It was super fun! And Sister Pichardo and I took some dramatic photos.
One of the miracles we saw this week was that we have worked a lot with one of our members who is amazing. His name is Bienvenido. He was baptized just a couple years ago. Well he recently moved and we could not find his house! He tried to describe it several times, but we were not finding it. Finally this week we found his house. He told us he was staying with a woman who was blind but wanted us to visit her. I was on exchanges with Sister Pichardo and we knocked on the door. A woman answered it but only opened the door a little bit. Sister Pichardo (in her perfect Spanish) began to offer the woman help, and asked if we could visit. She said we could clean, cook, work outside, and so on. The woman seemed hesitant. Then in my child-like Spanish I asked her if we could pray with her. She paused and then replied in Spanish "Come around the side, there is another door and I'll let you in."  

I realized then that the Lord always makes it possible for us to magnify our calling. I'm not that good at Spanish, and I'm really not that different from most missionaries, but the Lord put the right words in my mouth and charity in my heart for this sweet woman. Since then, we have been able to teach her again and she has accepted the invitation to prepare for baptism! 

Also Arcenio came to church this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were praying and promised him that if he did his part the Lord would provide a way for him to come. He called us Saturday night and said "hey I'm still at work, but they just put the schedule up and I have tomorrow off! What time does church start?" 

Also did you know that cactus trees are a real thing? Yep well they are. Also it got freezing cold after the island flooded and so I looked balled (bawled?? I can't spell anymore) while I biked around the island.
Sister Allen and I are crazy as usual and love the area and the people. I am holding up my Book of Mormon bag here. One of the other Hermanas I live with made us all bags so we can always have it visible. We have had people ask us about it and it starts a really good conversation. 
I love being a missionary. I love the hard times and the good times. I am grateful for the hope the Gospel brings us and for the peace that resides no matter what our lives our like. 

I know Jesus Christ lives and He is our Savior. He knows us perfectly, and knows how to help us. We are entitled to His love as children of God. I hope we can all remember who we are and whose we are. 

-Hermana Ries

No comments:

Post a Comment