Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Prove me now herewith‏ April 20, 2015

 Dear Family and Friends, 

It was a really fun and crazy week! I turned 20 years old. Yep. Weird. I am no longer a teenager. Paloma made me mole (a mexican dish/ my favorite)  and an ice-cream pie. It was really sweet.  And that's about all I have to say about birthdays:) 
I've been thinking a lot lately about obedience. Because lots of times people ask me "why do we have to do it like that?" "Why does God want me to change more? I am a good person?" "This rule doesn't even make sense!" Basically it all comes down to why.

This is one of the families that we teach. Jolette and Herlin are both young enough that for them, obedience just seems to make sense. When their mom says not to do something or to do something, it is because she is right. They don't need much more of an explanation. They know that their mom loves them and that she will ask of them, what will be of benefit. 
p.s. I adore this family. 

I have oftentimes replied to people who have why questions, with "I don't know." But I do know that the Lord invites us to "prove" him or try His promise. Every commandment we have is associated with a promise. And if we invite the blessings, they will come. 
Of course we can also pray to know if the commandment is really from the Lord. (My companion took this picture of me. awkward)
And after we have prayed, we should put it into practice. 
"prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it."

Recently, I've thought about turning that phrase around too. Obedience is sometimes easy, until a moment of trial and testing. I want to show the Lord that He too can prove me. And I will be obedient. 
I know that God knows better than us. He loves us. We are His children, and there are things we just don't understand. I know that His son lives and He is Jesus Christ. I pray that we can accept the blessings that flow through obedience. 

-Hermana Ries

Malachi 3:10

No comments:

Post a Comment