Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Consider the Lillies of the Field April 13, 2015

Dear Friends and family,
It has been a very good week! First, I just wanted to send this picture from last week from the temple since the computer wasn't working with my camera last week. 

The temple is the place to be!
Like I said this week was really good! Something that I have been learning, and especially this week is that the work I do, is actually very little to nothing in the grand scheme of things. God says: 

For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. (Moses 1:39)

So from that, and experiences out in the mission, I have learned, that this is His work and not mine in the least.

I think a lot of times, I get caught up in the details. Why is no one answering the door? Why does it have to rain today? Do I have to ride a bike again today? Why is the mailbox always empty? And variations of things like that. And it is really selfish. 

One of my favorite scriptures says: 

27 Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
 28 If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, ye of little faith?
 29 And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.
 30 For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.
 31 But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.

For the last few weeks we have worked really hard to get our investigators to church, with very little luck. After weeks of frustration, this Sunday morning I told my companion how upset I was, that they didn't understand how important this was. My efforts weren't making much a difference. And then I realized, of course my efforts weren't making a difference, because this is not MY work. 

Once I let go of the fact that I just do what I can, and then let the Lord do the rest, He was able to bless me. This week Paloma, Demetria, Vicki, Arles, Arcenio and Nelson all came to church and had a great experience.

On a totally different note, I went on exchanges to Alvin this week and met a family with a pet pig. It was a little weird. Oh Texas.
This week please include Arles in your prayers. Arles is from El Salvador and actually happens to be a friend of Ramon! We have been teaching him for about a month now and as you can see, he is a little camera shy haha. In this picture you can see him walking towards us with his Book of Mormon in hand and his mustang in the back. yeah, he's pretty cool. He gave up coffee this week and he's almost quit smoking! Please pray for him! He wants to do what is right and has a baptismal date for the 25th! He is so close! 

Also please keep Jolette in your prayers! She really wants to be baptized this Saturday but is only 9 and afraid of water. Please pray that she will be able to overcome her fear!

I know this is God's work and glory. Our happiness is what He wants and desires and thinks about all the time.I am so grateful for this time that I have to serve Him and be doing His work. 
I love my Savior. I strive to be like him and hope we can all find joy and peace knowing that He loves us and has a perfect plan for us.

-Hermana Ries

No comments:

Post a Comment