Wednesday, June 10, 2015

When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God June 1, 2015

Dear Family and Friends, 

It's only been a few days since I have written so I don't have a ton to say, but I just had a couple thoughts I wanted to express. 

Oftentimes on my mission, I have felt inadequate. Okay, often doesn't really fully express it. Almost everyday I feel inadequate. I think about our call as missionaries to represent Jesus Christ, and then I think about how far I am from being perfect, and how if I were just a little better, I could help more people, or see more miracles, or other thoughts along that same track. 

But this Sunday as I sat  first in the English ward and later in the Spanish branch, I felt extreme gratitude during the Sacrament. Usually I sit quietly during the Sacrament thinking of all the things I will do differently next week. And that is important, but this week instead, I thought about the people that I have had the opportunity to serve, and I felt so much JOY! 
I don't think God has a tally mark of every time we make the same mistake. But I believe that He is completely aware of every good thing that comes about because of something we did for someone else.


​As I sat in church pondering the words of the hymn we sang (As Nos We Take the Sacrament) which says:

As now we take the sacrament,
Our thoughts are turned to thee,
Thou Son of God, who lived for us,
Then died on Calvary.
We contemplate thy lasting grace,
Thy boundless charity;
To us the gift of life was giv'n
For all eternity.

As now our minds review the past,
We know we must repent;
The way to thee is righteousness--
The way thy life was spent.
Forgiveness is a gift from thee
We seek with pure intent.
With hands now pledged to do thy work,
We take the sacrament.
I realized that Heavenly Father does not want us to linger on our sins or weaknesses. He wants us to fix them, and then move on to serve others.  As we do that, we are serving Him. We forget our own insecurities and help others on their path to eternal life. 

I love this gospel and the opportunity we have to serve others everyday! I hope we can all find many opportunities this week to serve one another, and feel the pure love of Christ that comes as we serve our fellow beings and our Heavenly Father. 

-Hermana Ries

No comments:

Post a Comment