Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding June 15, 2015

Dear Family and Friends,

It's been a good week! Please pray for our investigator Michael, who is preparing to be baptized on the 27th! 
Yeah, he is pretty cool. 

This week, Heavenly Father has taught me a lot about trusting in Him. I really like being in control. I like knowing what is happening next, the game plan and several backups. And I like being in charge. You would think that being the 6th of 7 children would mean that I don't have any of those first child tendencies, but alas it is one of my weaknesses. 
The mission is a blessing for many reasons, one being because often times your weaknesses are under a magnifying glass. And Heavenly Father is teaching me that I don't have control of very much, and that I should just trust Him. 

We had some "mini-missionaries" come work with us this week. We had  16 and 17 year old sisters come out and be our companions for two days. It was so fun! I think one of the best parts was how trusting they were. They were not accustomed to biking or being outside all day, or Spanish, or teaching, or talking to people on the street, but they were just so happy to be there. It makes me think about the beginning of my mission and I desired to have that simple faith again, that although I had no idea what I was doing, the Lord would take care of everything.
As the week came to a close, we were preparing for a busy Sunday, as usual. Covering two areas often presents problems on Sundays. As I kneeled down to pray on Saturday night, I told Heavenly Father we still hadn't worked all the rides out, and Joel was supposed to be confirmed, and I had no idea how it was all going to work out. I was scared and stressed, and knew that I probably should have planned better earlier in the week. I then humbly asked God, that although I didn't deserve it, all would go well tomorrow. 

I felt peace come over me, and a promise that all would be fine. And I shouldn't worry.

Well, the next morning, things were still a little stressful but everything seemed to be falling into place until the last hour of church (which is spanish Sacrament meeting). Arles was supposed to be picking up Joel so he could be confirmed. I stood in the hallway and called Arles. 

He answered and I said "Hermano, did you pick up Joel?" He seemed confused and asked "What? I'm not going to church today. It is too hot!" 

At this point it was 12:15 and Sacrament meeting was supposed to be starting. In frustration, I told him he'd promised that morning to pick Joel up and asked that he hurry over as fast as possible. I felt overwhelmed.

I took a deep breath and walked into the chapel. And as I walked in, there was Arles in his white shirt and tie and Joel sitting peacefully. 

He had totally tricked me! hahah. 

Joel was able to be confirmed and Arles received the Aaronic Priesthood.

Later on as I took the Sacrament, I thought about my prayer on Saturday night. Then a sweet and a little bit chastising voice came to my mind and heart:

"I did promise you."
I realized that my plans, are not important. The Lord knows and loves us. God has a plan. And He always keeps His promises. I pray that we can trust in Him.

-Hermana Ries

p.s. Our branch mission leader let me play his guitar at correlation:) It was a good day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment