Monday, December 28, 2015

The mountains shall bring peace to the people

Psalms 72:3


Dear Family and Friends,

In the scriptures, temples are often referred to as mountains. Because they are easy to point out, and a beacon.

This week we got to go to the temple twice! We went once with a member and once with our recent converts. Everyone remember Hermano Joel? He is amazing. He got baptized for two of my ancestors! And he is planning on going back to the temple to be baptized for his father. 


Temples are houses of God. They are holy and sacred. There, we receive blessings, instructions and more than anything, peace. 

People are often shocked at the "great sacrifices" we make as missionaries. We put our lives on hold, give up music, social media, schooling and all our time and attention to serve the Lord. We leave our family and friends. And we pay to do it. 

As I sat in the temple on Saturday and watched our recent converts (Joel and Katherine) be baptized for some of my ancestors, I reflected on the rich blessings of missionary work. 


One of my greatest concerns about serving a mission was leaving my family, and not being able to help or have much communication with them. But the Lord has looked after them so much better than I ever could! There have been two babies born, a marriage, graduations, job changes, etc. Great blessings. I have felt angels helping them and helping me, as I have gotten to work on both sides of the veil as a full-time missionary. 

I love serving in this capacity and I love serving in the temples! It really is a refuge from the world. Please find a way to get to the temple frequently. Reach out to those who have gone before you and laid a path.

I am grateful for a loving Savior who gave His life for us. I know He lives. Because of Him, we can have peace in this life and joy in the life to come. This is His work.

-Hermana Ries

No comments:

Post a Comment