Monday, December 28, 2015

the rod of iron...was the word of God

1 Nephi 11:25

Dear Family and Friends, 

It has been a good week! We are working hard and trying to do whatever Heavenly Father would have us do here. 


Have you ever watched a lizard climb? It is CRAZY. This is outside of our apartment window. I'm not really sure of the science behind this but it reminds me of a scripture in 1 Nephi 15:24 which says: 

And I said unto them that it was the word of God; and whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction.

This little lizard was "holding fast" to our window screen. But what this scripture is talking about is a vision of an ancient prophet, who saw a rod of iron that led to a tree which had the most desirable fruit. And the fruit represents the love of God. 

When we hold to the word of God, we feel His love and we are protected from Satan! This week I have really studying The Book of Mormon. Which is another testament of Jesus Christ. 

This week, we were visiting with our investigator A. She is so awesome. She was taught about the Restoration of the Gospel by the Elders and later referred to us. 

As we visited with her we asked if she believed what the Elders taught her. She said she had some doubts after they left, but she and her boyfriend read in The Book of Mormon after and now she feels like it is true. She is getting baptized in October! Please pray for her and her cute little family. 

A photograph of a couple holding hands, combined with a quote by Elder L. Tom Perry: “If we hold tightly to the word of God, we will remain on the pathway.”

I love the Scriptures. I love the Bible and The Book of Mormon. When I was younger I had NO desire to serve a mission. I had very little desire to go to church or really live the gospel completely. The first time I read The Book of Mormon for myself I was 14 years old. I read just 10 minutes a day. And when I finished it, I knelt down one Sunday morning and asked God if it was true. I received the answer that is was. And I felt the desire to share it with others. That grew into an intense desire to serve the Lord in the capacity of a Full Time Missionary. 

I love our Savior. I feel closer to Him as I read His words. I hope we can all read the scriptures and hold fast to them. 

-Hermana Ries

If you are interested in a free copy of The Book of Mormon, go here! https://www.mormon.org/free-book-of-mormon

Have a good week! 



No comments:

Post a Comment